Friday, March 14, 2014

How to be charitable, when you feel you have nothing left to give...

With all the things that have happened this past year or two, I do not feel that have anything left to give. But this is the time when I NEED to give. Giving helps feed the sole. So I am going to make a goal to do one charitable thing a month. I cannot afford to give my own money, but that doesn't mean that I cannot take an hour a week to give my time. Sometimes that one hour will make a huge difference.

Here are some things that I would like to do over the next few months/years:

Donate time at my local food pantry. They have been a source of food for us in our hardest times. I would like to give back to them. Once I get really good at couponing, I would like to donate those extra items that I get for free or really cheap to them. I will continue to do my yearly North Texas Food Bank donation at work. Some of you do not realize that the smaller pantries get their food from local sources as well as the NTFB. By the time a little local food bank like the Lake Dallas Food Pantry gets their cut, it often doesn't have much to give. I will give more information in next week's post about how to give to food pantries/banks.

Offer my time at the local pet shelter. They need help with cleaning cages, walking dogs, helping people fill out paperwork. They also need food and other pet items. I hope to use my new found love of couponing to help donate items. It is common to find coupons and match up with sales for things like cat food, dog food, litter. Since my kitties are somewhat picky about their soft food (I can donate the ones I get for free). Again, there will be another blog post about this specific charity.

A bigger thing that I would like to do is to gather items for "care baskets" for a women's shelter. Giving care baskets with makeup, shampoo, etc., would go a long way to helping them "feel" like women. I would also like to see about finding new bras and underwear (of good quality) on clearance to donate to the shelter. It may seem like they could use more useful things, but being broke for so long, you should see my bras. I would give anything for someone to give me a new bra for free. This is really something I would like to do in the next year.

As you see, I have some ideas of what I want to do. I am still focusing on trying to move out of survival mode, but once I do I want to give to people. I can start with the food pantry NOW, then move onto the other things. 

Please comment below about the things that you do for charity. I would love to hear your stories.

For those of you who are able to give financially, please check out the following link. It will give you some resources to find a reliable charity. There is nothing worse than trying to do good and have someone take advantage of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment