Monday, March 10, 2014

Adventures in Cooking - first meal in new Slow Cooker

For my birthday I wanted a new crock pot. I ended up getting a really cool Cuisinart Slow Cooker. It browns, sautés, has a temperature gauge, timer, all the bells and whistles. I thought I would post my first recipe. It is based off of one I found on Martha Stewart's webpage: http://www.marthastewart.com/344923/slow-cooker-brisket-and-onions

Ingredients:
1 onion (.10 cents)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic (.05 cents)
1/2 can of chicken broth (.25 cents)
3 lb beef brisket ($12.62)
8 oz package button mushrooms (.89 cents)
salt and pepper to taste (nominal
olive oil (about .20 cents
butter (about .10 cents)

Sides:
Mashed potatoes - potatoes 2.5 pounds that was on sale (.50); butter (.20); milk (.50), salt, pepper
Broccoli (.50)
Can of peas (.50)
Gravy (.10 for a packet to mix with the juices of the brisket)

8 servings for 16.51 or 2.06 per meal. Not too shabby.


 

My brisket was frozen, so I put it in the microwave to defrost based on its size, on the defrost setting. While this was defrosting, I set to browning the mushrooms and onions. I feel it adds extra flavor.

Heat the slow cooker to 400 degrees. Put in a 1/2 tablespoon butter and a 1/2 tablespoon olive oil into the slow cooker. Add cleaned and sliced button mushrooms (8 oz) with a sprinkling of pepper. Do not add salt as it will withdraw the moisture and they will not brown. Once browned, remove to a bowl.


Add in a little oil if needed. Add one sliced onion and a tablespoon of chopped garlic. Cook until slightly brown. Do not let the garlic brown as it will become bitter. If you wish, you can add the garlic in half way through browning the onions. Remove from slow cooker and set aside.



Once the brisket is defrosted, wipe with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Add a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil to the slow cooker and place brisket in to brown. It takes about 5 minutes on each side. Remove brisket and set aside.
 

 

 

 

 
 Add onions on the bottom, cover with the brisket, top with the mushrooms, followed by a half can of chicken broth. Refrigerate the remaining broth for another recipe. You can also freeze the remaining chicken broth in ice cube trays.




 
Cover the slow cooker and set at low for 6 to 8 hours. I like to be able to slice my brisket, some like to have theirs fall apart. Cook longer if you like yours falling apart.



I hope you try it and enjoy. I know we will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment