Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Adjusting and Keeping Up

A year ago I gave my notice to the company I had worked for, for nearly 8 years. It was terrifying. But I had a goal to be home with my girls, get a part time job and go back to school to become a teacher. I ended up taking nearly a year off from "traditional" work. I started a business. Tried another business. Developed my craft of crocheting. The time came where it was time to get that part time job.

I started my new job last week. I am working at a big box store as a cashier, in the evenings. This allows me to be with my girls during the day and not have to pay daycare. It throws off our schedule a bit, because they (along with my husband) were used to me being home at night. In the end, we decided it was the way to go though.

Adjusting to a new schedule:

I originally wanted to work only 20-25 hours, but after meeting with my new manager, we discussed working more hours. Knowing that I have a strict amount I have to come up with by September, this seemed like a good thing. I will now be working a set schedule of 4 nights a week from 5pm to midnight. Then on Sunday afternoons/evenings.

This means that instead of two-three nights a week of hubby having to hold down the fort, he has only one night a week where he doesn't have to "do it all". He works a full time job during the day. So he is having to wrangle the kids instead of being able to decompress. But honestly, there are so many single parents out there that have to do it, so I know he can handle it.

Our youngest is having a hard time adjusting to the new schedule with sleep. I usually put her to bed and she is wanting to stay up until I get home. This is not going to work. So Hubby is going to have to work on it while I am not home.

Keeping Up:

Normally I do all the housework during the day. I have dinner started by the time hubby comes home. Then after we eat, he supervises the girls bath time, while I put away dinner and have some down time. This schedule is changing and I am relying on hubby more to help "keep up" with the house. There is nothing worse than coming home at midnight and having the house trashed and everyone in bed.

In the end this is going to be a good thing for our family. We will be able to save the money we need to move into a house. We will have the money to replace Hubby's car. We will be able to get back on track and accomplish our goals. In the mean time...it is and adjustment keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment