Monday, July 14, 2014

Leftovers - How to like them...

As you probably know by now, I HATE leftovers. In my search for saving every penny I can, I have tried to find ways to learn to love them. I have started by doing leftover redo's. I will turn pulled pork into pulled pork enchiladas. I will turn left over chicken into chicken noodle soup. But what about things like meatloaf or my pasta bakes?

Next week I am going out of town and leaving my hubby to fend for himself. I have decided to try something new with the meals I cook this week. I made mini-meatloaves this week. Instead of having them for leftovers, I decided to wrap each one really well and freeze them. That way hubby will be able to take one out and let it defrost in the fridge over night. I also had a bunch of roasted red potatoes, so I divided them up into freezer bags. This way hubby has a side to go with his meatloaf. All he has to do is heat up a can of veggies and he has a complete meal.

For the rest of the week, I plan to do the same thing. I will be making orange glazed pork chops and rice. I will take one pork chop (wrap it in plastic wrap). I will also take a baggie with some cooked rice. These two things I will put in an individual freezer bag. All he will have to do is take it out the night before and defrost in the fridge. When he gets home the next night he can just throw it in the microwave.

That is two meals out of the way. Two more to go...Monday he will do leftovers from Sunday night. Tuesday he will do meatloaf. Wednesday he will do pork chops. Thursday we will get home around dinner time. I think I will get a freezer crock pot meal together for him to throw in, in the morning. That way we all get a good fresh meal when we get home!

With all of these plans for the freezer, I have to get going on my freezer fund. I cannot wait until I have a bigger freezer to do a lot of freezer meals. I would love to have my freezer chest dedicated to raw foods. Then my freezer connected to my fridge will have freezer crock pot meals, leftovers I have frozen, or other prepped foods. I cannot wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment