Monday, July 28, 2014

Change in Plans

One of my life goals has been to have a farm. Nothing big, but something where I can have animals, my own garden and a place for my kids to play. I have been pushing it off and pushing it off over the years. We pushed it off to have kids (used the money for infertility treatments). We pushed it off due to job loss. We pushed it off because the plan was for me to go back to school and get my dream job of teaching.

This past week I went on a trip to see my sister. My mom, my girls and I piled into a car and drove the 11-12 hours to Iowa from Texas. During that time I was able to reflect and talk with my mom. I came to the conclusion that I really don't want to push off the dream of home ownership anymore.

In order for me to go back to school, I would be using the money that would equal a really good down-payment on a house. I would be pushing off home ownership for another 5-8 more years. I do not want to do that.

I am happy being a stay at home mom and as long as my husband makes enough for me to do so, I want to do it. I was going to get a part time job (in the evening and some hours on the weekend), to pay for me going back to school. To go back and get my Master's, or even the classes to get certified, I would be paying about $10-12k. That would go a long way to us getting a house.

So after some reflection and discussion with my husband, I have decided that I will not return to school at this time. I will get the part time job I intended, but I will use all of that money to build up a savings for a down-payment on a little property of our own.

We were also thinking of buying a house her in our neighborhood, then after a few years we would move out to the country. After doing some more reflection, we knew in our hearts that if we moved into a house, we would not move again until the girls graduated from High School. I do not want to wait that long.

It has been decided that we will go ahead and move out to the country and skip the "house in the suburbs". My youngest will start school in three years. Our goal is to save up every dime we can (while paying off debt), during this time. Then either before she starts Kindergarten or at the latest when she starts first grade, we will move into the country.

We have a lot of hard work ahead of us, but I feel this change of plans will benefit our WHOLE family. Eventually, if I want to return to school (after we get our house), I can do so. For now I want to do this. My mom said that she felt it was a good choice too.

So here we go...a new journey. One I feel really good about.

No comments:

Post a Comment