Wednesday, December 31, 2014

What a year!

We found our 4 leaf clover!

I am so happy this year is coming to a close, not because it was bad, but because it was one of the best ever. We faced many trials, but we worked hard and I believe came out better for it in the end.

In the beginning of 2013, I had the goal to become a stay at home mom. But it looked like it would never happen. Hubby was out of work and I was busting my but to make ends meet. He would get a job, lose a job. He tried his best, but the healthcare industry was in a shambles due to the uncertainty of everything.

The end of 2013, found hubby out of work, but at least on unemployment. We barely made ends meet and had to rely on the generosity of family to keep a roof over our heads.

2014 started and I was a mess. I was working twice as much as normal in order to keep us afloat. I was never home and didn't see my family. When I was home, I would collapse in a heap in bed. It was HORRIBLE!!!! Then in February Hubby found a job. It was a good paying job. I was proud of him for finding a place to work that liked him and that he liked in return.

There was a problem though. We had to pay for two kids in daycare. It ate half of what he made every week. We were actually better off financially, with him at home on unemployment. But that is not how life should be. It shouldn't be so hard. If you are willing to work hard, you should be able to make it work. RIGHT?

After two long months of me working even more hours (to make up for daycare), and Hubby working full time, the house fell apart. Bills weren't getting paid, not because we didn't have money, but because no one was home to pay them. I know, sorry excuse, but when you are so overwhelmed it is difficult to even function. We knew something had to give. We knew we had to take a risk.

I had wanted to become a stay at home mom all those years ago. I ran the numbers a million times. We decided to take a risk. I had to lay all my trust in my husband. If you know me on a personal level, you know that me trusting someone, relying on someone so whole-heartedly, is very very hard. I took the biggest risk of my entire life. I gave notice at a job where I was respected. A job that fed my family for years. That gave me so many opportunities. I gave myself over to my husband.

On May 1st (only 5 months later than I had originally set my goal for), I left work and became a home-maker, a stay at home mom, a much happier person. But that was only the beginning.

Hubby had a great job, but wanted and needed a fantastic job. He kept looking for that dream job. One that wouldn't just get us by, but one that would allow us to do the things that were important to us. We wanted to be able to LIVE. To move into a house. To have fun. To save money for the future. Only a few short months after I left my job, Hubby found his dream job. It was a miracle to us, but in reality it was a result of hard work and dedication.

We had no idea that we would go from a family that was barely able to eat and pay the bills. Using the food pantry and wearing clothes and shoes with holes in them: to a family who can now donate and help others. We are current on bills. We were even able to get a "new to us" mini-van.

I foresee 2015 being a year where we continue to take what we have learned and grow even more. I am so grateful for my husband working so hard to provide for us. I am so grateful that I get to see my girls grow up and be a part of who they will become. This has turned out to be the year that I never thought was possible. Next year will be even better!

I wish you all a wonderful new year. Take risks, believe in yourself. Sometimes you will be amazed at the miracles that happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment